How to create and use the Assignments tool
The assignment tool allows:
- you to create and deliver assignments
- your learners to submit their assignments to you
- you to grade and provide feedback
Everything that occurs in the assignment tool is archived with your course and all learner activities are time stamped. Rubrics can be integrated with assignments. If associated with a grade item, grades are automatically posted to the course Grades area.
Steps for creating and using an assignment
Create a new folder
1. To create the assignment dropbox for students, first click the Activities link.
2. Next, select “Assignments”.
3. Click the “New Folder” button.
Set up the Assignment
4. Type in the assignment name.
5. Type in the instructions. (Optional)
6. Add files that the student needs for this assignment in the attachments area. These documents can be any of the file types on this list. (see: What file types are supported in Assignments?) (Optional)
7. For Assignment Type select either Individual Assignment or Group Assignment
- If you select Group Assignment then you can select the Group submission folder. When selecting this, only one person from the group can hand in the assignment and be evaluated. All group members will be able to see this feedback however.
8. Category lets you organize your assignment folders into categories. (Optional)
9. In the “Score Out of” box type in the number of points you are marking this assignment out of.
10. Grade item lets you create a column in your grade book and send the mark over when you publish the marks. (Optional)
11. Rubric lets you create and add a rubric to use to grade this assignment. (Optional)
12. Click “Save and Close” when you are finished editing your assignment.
13. Click “Save and New” instead if you would like to create another assignment right away. (Optional)
You can see there are several other options too.
If you have specific questions regarding the above features including the ones not mentioned here then please call the help desk at 604-412-7444-2.Here’s what you see when you have created several assignment folders.
14. Click the drop down arrow beside each assignment.
15. Make each assignment visible to students.
Bulk Edit & Due Dates
16 . The bulk edit feature allows you to edit the names and set dates for several assignments at once. You can select the assignments individually by ticking the little boxes in front of each one.
17. You can also select all of the assignments at once by ticking the box at the top of the table.
18. Once you select your assignments, click the Bulk Edit link.
19. In the Bulk Edit area, change the names, fix spelling mistakes, and/or set dates, if applicable, for all your assignments.
20. Due dates will show up on the calendar of the course home page and will allow students to hand in assignments AFTER that due date.
21. Start dates will allow students to access the assignment ONLY AFTER the date set.
22. End dates will not allow students to hand in after the date set.
23. Save your changes
The Assignments area looks like the following when you set dates. Under the Due Date column, students can see when things are due.
Assignment with due dates, end dates or start dates will also show up in the student’s calendar tool in the Course Home page. You will see only one of these dates for each event. Notice that “Your Assignment” has a due date, an end date and start date set, but only the due date shows. Likewise “Your Assignment 2” has a start date and an end date but only the end date shows. The hierarchy for what shows is as follows due date > end date > start date.